We have to work on two different aspects: the user interface (and the answer parsing) and the connection to their web service.
Until otherwise stated the following is not connected to the web service, it will look up in a static XML file:
- 18/12/2007 - 22/12/2007 - Preparing the search tab, module and user prefs.
- 23/12/2007 - 27/12/2007 - Preparing the hours tab (the tab that shows all the available trains between the source and the destination station). Starting the answer parsing.
- 28/12/2007 - 01/01/2008 - Preparing the stations tab for a choosen trip.
Web service and Proxy
Because the railway company doesn't permit any computer to use its web service, we have to implement a proxy, that forwards users' requests to the web service. We chose to implement the proxy as a java servlet.
- 18/12/2007 - 22/12/2007 - writing a simple servlet and running it.
- 23/12/2007 - 27/12/2007 - writing a servelt that sends a static WSDL file (or hardcoded HTTP request) to the railway web-service and parse its response.
- 28/12/2007 - 01/01/2008 - improving the servlet to build a WSDL request according to the parameters from the gadget.
Integration and Debugging
- 02/01/2008 - 06/01/2008 - Integrating the GUI and the proxy. Making the gadget to show "real" trips, i.e. answers received from the Israel Railways web service.
- 07/01/2008 - 12/01/2008 - Debugging the "integration" stage and making the interface more friendly to the user.
- From 12/01 until the submission we hope to have the basic gadget finished, if Israel Railways will want we will add support to RSS Feeds and "the sky is the limit"
- 13/01/2008 - 18/01/2008 - Looking for a new host to our proxy and installing it on the new host. Checking that all works well and implementing an engine so if no response is received it will try again (for no more than 20 seconds).
- 19/01/2008 - 27/01/2008 - Implementing the Prices tab and the engine for the RSS Feeds. In addition we are testing the gadget and solving open bugs and new bugs.
- 28/01/2008 - 14/02/2008 - Coming back to WSDL to try to make the proxy to use WSDL and SOAP. Fix las bugs and improve the usability of the gadget.